The £2.8 million fund has been established to provide financial support for the Scottish-based hostel sector. It is being delivered on behalf of the Scottish Government by VisitScotland, with development input from Scottish Independent Hostels, Hostelling Scotland and Independent Hostels UK.
Following feedback from industry and recognising a funding gap for larger hostels in Scotland, a second strand of the fund has been created to support hostels in Scotland with a rateable value above £51,000 who were not eligible for the first strand of funding.
A two-strand approach to grant funding is necessary to meet the needs of the sector:
• Strand 1 is now closed for applications: this supports hostels in Scotland with a rateable value below £51,000.
• Strand 2 is open for applications from midday on Tuesday 9 March to midday on Tuesday 16 March 2021: this is open to proprietors of large hostel businesses with a rateable value above £51,000.
• If you applied to strand 1 of the fund but also own or lease hostels which meet the eligibility criteria for strand 2, you can also apply to and receive funding through strand 2. If you operate multiple hostels, you will be asked to submit information for each hostel being applied for.
• Grant awards made under either strand of the fund must only be used for the hostel to which they relate.
• Applications WILL NOT be assessed on a first come first serve basis.
• There will be an application assessment process before the final decision is made. If your application is rejected, you can appeal the decision.